What is the Covenant Blessing?
15. And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call
her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.
16. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
17. Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is a hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
18. And Abraham said unto God, O that Ish'ma-el might live before thee!
19. And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
20. And as for Ish'ma-el, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. [Note: These are not the 12 tribes of Israel.]
21. But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
Isaacs seed includes Jacob (renamed Israel), and those who follow in Jacob's chain are called Israelites. All Israelites received the promises of Abraham, not just those who much later became known as Jews. All Jews are Israelites, but not all Israelites are Jews.
The total number of Israelites alive today approaches One Billion. Only about 2% of the Israelites today are Jews.
Return to Menu: